Sunday, August 06, 2006

Chinese Storytelling

We had a great time yesterday at the International Storytelling Center in Jonesborough, TN. Linda Fang from Rockville, MD was the guest storyteller and she presented her Ch'i-lin Purse program. This performance included a package of gem-like stories adapted from traditional Chinese opera. ("The Ch'i-lin Purse", "The Clever Magistrate", "Two Misses Peony", "The Miracle Doctor"). Ms. Fang did an outstanding job and the entire audience was mesmerized by her oratory. She employed the assistance of several of the young audience members, and even a few of the older (moi) were called upon. Get someone who was luck enough to have been present to describe my awe-inspiring horse galloping.


Before the storytelling sessions began, Ms. Fang allowed the audience to take a few pictures. I was able to talk Jada into posing with Ms. Fang for a few pictures. She was very accommodating and was all smiles as others from the audience also came for pictures. I emailed Ms. Fang a couple of the pictures today and I hope she acknowledges their receipt. I'm sure she is a very busy lady, but I would save her reply for Jada to read when she is old enough to comprehend the magnitude of having her picture made with an international award winner. I'm not sure how long this link will be valid, but here are some more pictures taken that day at the storytelling, and later at the Lolli-Pop Shop, a candy and toy store on Main Street in Jonesborough.


Kealee Sandidge, Eliza Sanders, and Madison Ferguson were also there and I was able to snap a pretty good group shot after Ms. Fang completed her storytelling. I do hope that we can attend another storytelling session by Ms. Fang in a few years after Ruby has been home for awhile.


We should know in just a few short days when we will be traveling to bring Miss Ruby home. We can barely wait and Jada seems to be so excited that the wait is almost behind us.


There's plenty more to come, so don't touch that dial...

No comments: